One of the biggest (and probably only) complaints Kyle has about living in Alaska is the lack of Chipotle locations. Zero, zip zilch! Chipotle's steak burrito bowls are a favorite of both of ours. Thankfully, another military spouse whose family was also having to do without the coveted burrito bowl, shared her homemade chipotle bowl recipe. We frequently make a slightly tweaked version of this recipe and only recently nailed down the perfect homemade Chipotle rice to go with it. So, for those of you who are living in a place where you are denied access to Chipotle, here is the next best thing!
- 1 pound steak (we just buy cubes for stew then cut them into even smaller chunks)
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- black pepper to taste (we use about 1/2 tsp)
- 1.5 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cheyenne pepper (adjust if you like a bit more kick)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- salt to taste (we use about 1 teaspoon)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup water
- In a small bowl, mix oregano, pepper, chili powder, cheyenne pepper, garlic, cumin and salt. Add your water and olive oil then combine.
- Cube steak.
- Combine your marinade and steak in a large pyrex container. (Ziplock baggies work fine as well.) Shake until your steak is well coated in marinade.
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Cook in a skillet over medium heat.
Now for the cilantro lime rice!
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- in saucepan melt butter
- put uncooked rice in saucepan with butter and mix until rice is well coated
- cook for 2 minutes over medium heat stirring regularly
- combine water, cilantro, lime juice and salt in your rice cooker
- add buttery rice
- cook rice
- stir rice before serving
Now you have the staples for your steak Chipotle bowl! Don't forget to include your favorite toppings. We make sure to have shredded parmesan cheese, black beans, sour cream, lettuce and salsa on hand for ours. Kyle even insists on creating his bowl in the correct Chipotle order! Like, pretends he is in the restaurant, "black or pinto beans" style.
The copycat steak chipotle bowl is even Mallory approved!