Lets define the relationship, shall we? Ok, if you ventured over to my cancer chronicles page you may have gathered that i'm a bit nervous about tackling "cancer stuff" on my blog. I've gotta start somewhere, right? So here it goes...
When someone is diagnosed with cancer, everyone around them kind of takes on a role. Each of these roles has a title. You with me so far? Some of these titles are widely accepted among those in the cancer community; some I just made up. ;) [keep in mind this is coming from the perspective of the patient]
1. Survivor: ANYONE who has ever been told "you have cancer".
2. Patient: A survivor who's having a bad day.
3. Caregiver: ANGELS. These are the people who support, love and quite literally "take care of" the emotional and physical needs of the survivor. [attention patients! these people suffer more than you do. so, stop being an asshole and be a survivor...they'll be kind to you while you make that transition]
4. Friend For Life: This person is someone you already called a friend but who took it to a whole new level over the course of your cancer journey. This person is loyal, loving, distracting and unwavering.
5. Kyle: That person who just won't give up. Even though you aren't very nice to them and don't even really talk to them, they still check in and are truly invested in your well being. [try and marry this person if possible]
6. Everybody else: CANCER PERK ALERT! Cancer allows you to "trim the fat" from your relationships. That person who came out of the woodwork to post on Facebook how "I just can't believe you have cancer! I can't stop crying." [oh please] Or the person who kinda sticks with you at the beginning but once treatment really gets rolling they are "busy" or just kind of disappear. I personally don't have any #5's in my life anymore--thanks cancer :)
So, who are you?
Well, I'm off to a friend's baby shower this afternoon. She's having her first baby girl, so naturally I'm giving the little one a few headbands [shhh, don't tell her.]
Have a relaxing Sunday!